Crisis & Safety Apps
These apps are useful for responding to and/or preventing crises.
crisis text line
Price: Free | Device: Any mobile device
Although not an app, this mobile text line is a valuable resource, especially for clients who prefer texting over-phone based communication. Simply provide your clients with the following number which they can save in their phones: 741-741
Price: Free | Device: iOS
This app allows users to create a safety plan. Gives tips on coping, recovering, suicide prevention, making the environment safe, and provides other resource.
Price: Free | Device: iOS
This app provides hotlines for AIDS, bullying, depression, eating disorders, grief and loss, homelessness, mental health, school violence, sexual and domestic violence, sexuality and sexual health, stress and anxiety, suicide, teen parenting, and teen pregnancy.
virtual hope box
This app is intended to assist with coping and emotion regulation and can be a valuable part of a client's safety plan. Options on app include:
- Distractions: games—Sudoku, puzzles, mahjong
- Inspirational quotes
- Relaxation—breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, guided meditation in three different “locations”
- Activity planner with options to contact social support via email or text
- Support contacts allows for storage of contacts to be contacted in emergency situations
- Reminders: Visual reminders stores meaningful photos and videos. Audio reminders stores music and audio messages
These apps target specific disorders such as anxiety or depression.
Price: $4.99 | Device: iOS
Created by Mayo Clinic, Anxiety Coach’s Aim is to reduce fear and worry. It is intended to be used for generalized anxiety, social anxiety, specific phobias, trauma, obsessions and compulsions, and panic attacks. Features include:
- Uses a short survey to gauge severity of fear and worry.
- Users can record feared activities
- Users have the option to make a plan to reduce worries
- App includes a list of activities that encourage mastery and reduce fear or worry.
- Users can record and review progress
- Delivers information on treatment seeking.
MoodTools is designed to help individuals combat depression and alleviate negative moods. The app has the following features:
- Info provides information on depression, symptoms, types, causes, and treatments
- Test administers the PHQ-9
- Videos has tabs for guided meditation videos, soothing sounds, and TED talks.
- Thought diary asks for a title, the selection of preset emotions and distress level, negative thoughts, and provides cognitive distortion labels for users to apply to thoughts..
- Activities provides a list of activities that can be customized and randomly selected. Each activity requires a report of how users felt before and after completing
- Crisis plan is a customizable crisis plan.
PTSD Coach was designed for Veterans and military service members who have, or may have, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This app provides users with education about PTSD, information about professional care, a self-assessment for PTSD, opportunities to find support, and tools that can help users manage the stresses of daily life with PTSD. Tools range from relaxation skills and positive self-talk to anger management and other common self-help strategies. Users can customize tools based on their preferences and can integrate their own contacts, photos, and music. This app can be used by people who are in treatment as well as those who are not. PTSD Coach was created by VA’s National Center for PTSD and DoD’s National Center for Telehealth & Technology.
sam: self-help for anxiety management
SAM is a friendly app that offers a range of self-help methods for people who are serious about learning to manage their anxiety.
These apps offer more than one common element of useful apps (e.g. tracking, psychoeducation, social support etc.)
BoosterBuddy is designed to help teens and young adults improve their mental health. Features include:
- Check-in with how you are feeling each day
- Use coping skills
- Keep track of appointments and medications
- Get started on tasks
- Follow self-care routines
- Increase real-life socialization
MindShift is an app designed to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety. It can help you change how you think about anxiety. App includes strategies to deal with everyday anxiety, as well as specific tools to tackle: sleep, intense emotions, perfectionism, performance anxiety, worry, panic, and conflict.
Pacifica is an integrated app that contains tools for relaxation and mindfulness, mood tracking, thought recording and journaling, and daily challenges and global tracking.
Goals & Self-Improvement Apps
These apps promote habit change and self-improvement, not specifically in the domain of mental disorders.
Habitica encourages beneficial habits and productivity through gamification. May be useful fro behavioral activation and/or exposure hierarchies.
Superbetter helps individuals work towards self-improvement goals through gamification.
Meditation & Relaxation Apps
These apps offer guided and non-guided meditation and/or relaxation exercises.
Price: Free | Device: iOS
Pictures with accompanying sounds. May be useful for meditation or relaxation.
Provides a variety of guided meditations created by various meditation guides.
Quick start is a breathing exercise accompanied by a visual aid and music. Breathing allows users to choose a level of breathing exercise. The levels vary in inhalation time, exhale time, and retention. Meditation is a guided meditation.
stop, breathe, think
This app provides mindfulness exercises based on individual's current state. Check in for how user is feeling (great, good, meh, poor, rough) mentally, physically, emotionally. After checking in the app suggests mindfulness exercises for users (i.e. body scan, grounding, noting, and meditation). Features include:
- Teaching: Teaches users how to meditate
- Variety: Gives a list of activities for users to choose from in the topics of: breathe, gain resilience, connect with your body, broadening perspective, be kind, heal, chill, sleep, pregnancy, for kids, and yoga.
- Users can track progress: Tracks daily streaks for check-ins, meditations completed.
- Gamification: Users earn stickers for completing meditations and activities.
Monitoring & Tracking Apps
These apps allow for monitoring and tracking of thoughts, mood states, and other areas.
Price: $3.99 | Device: iOS
Based on cognitive behavioral therapy and positive psychology Moodnotes addresses maladaptive thought patterns through journaling.
This app is a mood tracker that gives options to track anxiety, depression, general well-being, head injury, post-traumatic stress, and stress. Features include: custom categories (which are associeted with different emotions/moods) and ability to graph mood overtime